If you’re isolated by floodwater, contact the SES on 132 500.
- Keep listening to your local radio for updates.
- Check that family and neighbours are safe and aware of what’s happening.
- Place important papers, photos, identification and valuables into your emergency kit.
- Be aware the home could be a refuge for snakes, spiders and vermin.
- Bring pets inside and prepare them for evacuation.
- Secure objects that are likely to float and cause damage.
- Securely stack furniture and possessions on benches and tables, placing electrical items on top.
- Place waste containers, chemicals and poisons well above the predicted water level.
- Block toilets and drains with sandbags to prevent sewerage backflow.
If you’re advised to evacuate:
- Follow all instructions given by authorities.
- Take the emergency kit.
- Take your pets with you. Put them on leads or in pet containers. Dogs should be muzzled.
- Turn off electricity, gas and water at the mains. Secure gas bottles and any other items that could float.
- Stay with others from home during the evacuation.
- Proceed to an evacuation centre if told to do so. If not, shelter at a friend or relative’s place on higher ground away from the flood.
- Let others know wherever you go.