During a storm:
- Stay inside and keep away from windows.
- Listen to your local radio for updates.
If you’re outdoors:
- Find safe shelter – away from trees, powerlines and metal structures.
If you’re indoors:
- Check that neighbours know about the warnings and are prepared.
- Test batteries in radios and torches.
- Power blackouts can occur during storms. Turn off and unplug all non-essential electrical items.
- If there is a blackout, use a torch instead of candles.
If you’re driving:
- Be alert and watch for hazards: powerlines, fast-flowing water, washed away roads or bridges, tree branches and roofing iron.
- Slow down, drive to the conditions and keep your headlights on.