Tasmania lies in the path of the Roaring Forties wind that encircles the globe, and we are regularly subjected to storms and severe weather. Storms affect all parts of Tasmania , and can happen anywhere and at any time of the year.
Severe storms may cause flash flooding, major damage to trees, buildings and powerlines, and be accompanied by torrential rain, strong winds, large hailstones and lightning.
Even if your property is not damaged, you may lose power, phone and internet connection, and access to roads.
You can help reduce the effects of a storm on you and your property by taking these few steps:
- Develop a storm emergency plan.
- Get your emergency kit ready.
- Trim or remove trees and branches overhanging your home or powerlines on your property.
When a storm is coming
- Bring children and pets indoors.
- Check that neighbours know about any warnings and are prepared.
- Move outdoor furniture or toys to a secure place.
- Tie down loose items such as trampolines.