Don’t be fooled – a flood can happen in a flash.
In a flash flood, water will rise very quickly over a short period of time. Riverine flooding is when rivers burst their banks, and cover the surrounding low-lying land. Floods are also caused by dam failure, pipeline failure, storm surge and tsunami.
It’s important to be aware of any flood risk where you live, have property and work.
Take these simple steps to ensure the safety of you and your family in preparation for a flood.
- Know your local area and flood risk, particularly if there is a history of flooding.
- Develop a flood emergency plan.
- Put together an emergency kit.
- Keep a list of emergency numbers handy.
- Keep up to date with current flood warnings.
- Check that your neighbours are aware any flood warnings.
- Community protection flood guides
- Stay tuned to local media for current weather advice and warnings.
- Keep an eye out and don’t allow children to play in, or near, flood waters.
- Always follow instructions and directions from local authorities.
- Be ready to evacuate if necessary.
- Never drive in flood waters.
- Never swim or wade in flood waters.
- Continue to monitor your local media for updated information and advice.