The State Emergency Service is urging people in the relevant forecast areas to be prepared for heavy rainfall tomorrow and Saturday.
The Bureau of Meteorology has indicated parts of the north west, north and east may be impacted by heavy rainfall during Friday night through to Saturday evening, with the possibility of flooding in some areas.
This is an opportunity prior to this weather event for people in affected areas to prepare their property and develop their Home Emergency Plan in preparation.
SES has volunteer crews ready to assist the community and plans are in place to respond to calls during this period.
We encourage road users to be vigilant and always drive to the conditions and be aware of the increased hazards caused by heavy rainfall, including water and debris on and around roads. SES advises people to do the following to prepare:
- Check bom.gov.au for the latest weather forecast and warnings. • Check that family and neighbours, especially those who are vulnerable, are aware of warnings and have a plan in place.
- Be prepared for flash-flooding.
- Clear drains and gutters of debris so they flow freely.
- Have a plan for managing pets and livestock.
- Be prepared for power outages.
In the event of heavy rainfall and flooding:
- Supervise children closely.
- Manage pets and livestock.
- Never enter or drive through floodwaters, and when driving look out for debris on roads including fallen trees and power lines.
- Report power outages to TasNetworks on 132 004.
- Listen to the ABC radio or check www.ses.tas.gov.au for further advice.
- Call SES on 132 500 for flood and storm-related emergency assistance.
- Dial Triple Zero (000) in a life-threatening emergency.