The State Emergency Service has issued TWO Emergency Warnings to Evacuate Now
- Liena to Latrobe and surrounds.
- Meander to Carrick and surrounds
A severe weather warning is current for heavy, locally intense rainfall over Northern Tasmania on Thursday. The Bureau of Meteorology has issued a major flood warning for the Mersey and Meander Rivers.
Locations likely to be impacted are:
Kimberly, Elizabeth Town, Merseylea, Sunnyside, Railton, Latrobe, Sassafras, Latrobe, Tarleton, and surrounds.
Meander, Montana, Red Hills, Deloraine, Reedy Marsh, Exton, Westbury, Selbourne, Quamby Bend, Hagley, Westwood, Carrick and surrounds.
SES advises that if you live in these areas, evacuate now if it is safe to do so, and go to the home of a family member or friend who are in a safe location or an evacuation centre.
Let your family or friends know when you are leaving and when you expect to arrive.
· Take pets with you.
· Take your emergency kit (medicine, prescriptions, important documents)
· Turn off electricity at the switchboard before leaving your property.
If staying with family and friends is not an option, the evacuation centres for these areas are:
· Latrobe Memorial Hall, 170 Gilbert Street,
· The Green Shed 52 Crockers Street, Railton
· Deloraine Community Centre – 2-8 Alverston Dr, Deloraine
Driving conditions may be dangerous. Some roads and bridges may be impacted. Drive to the conditions and do not drive through flood waters. Flood waters are a risk to safety, never walk, play, ride, or drive in floodwater.
If it is not safe to leave, call SES on 132 500 for advice and assistance.
For flood updates, visit TasALERT.com or listen to ABC Local Radio.
Emergency – Prepare to Evacuate warnings remain in place for:
Redwater Creek covering Railton and surrounds as well as Mersey River covering Liena to Latrobe township.
Flood Watch and Act – Monitor conditions – issued for Hadspen to Blackstone Heights and surrounds. Locations like to be impacted by flooding in the lower Meander River and the lower South Esk River are Hadspen, Westwood, Riverside, Travellers Rest and Blackstone Heights.
Evacuation Centres have been opened at:
• Railton Green Hall – 52 Crocker Street, Railton
• Latrobe Memorial Hall – 170 Gilbert Street, Latrobe
• Ulverstone Recreation Centre – 2 Flora St, Ulverstone
• Deloraine Community Centre – 2-8 Alverston Dr, Deloraine
The Tasmania Emergency Information Service has also been established to provide flood-affected communities with general information throughout this weather event. People can call 6145 5303 for the cost of a local call.
For flood and storm assistance call 132 500 and for life threatening emergencies call Triple Zero.
To date, the SES have received xxx calls, resulting in xx call outs by volunteers. The callouts related to xxx
Flood Watch and Act – Prepare Now warnings are also in place for the following rivers and creeks:
· Penguin Creek
· Emu River
· Cam River
· Liffey River
· Macquarie River
· Lake River
· Forth River
· Western Creek, Dampers Creek, Mole Creek and Lobster Rivulet
· Leven River
· North Esk River.
Advice to community:
SES urge people to seek further information and keep up-to-date with information from:
· http://www.bom.gov.au/tas/warnings/ – for the latest weather forecast and warnings.
· www.tasalert.com – for current flood warnings and advice.
· https://www.ses.tas.gov.au/ – for advice on how to prepare, and make flood and evacuation plans.
· https://www.police.tas.gov.au/community-alerts/ – for road closures
In the event of heavy rainfall and flooding:
· Check that family and neighbours, especially those who are vulnerable, are aware and have a plan in place.
· Supervise children closely.
· Minimise unnecessary travel.
· Never enter or drive through floodwaters, and when driving look out for debris on roads including fallen trees and power lines.
· Manage pets and livestock.
· Be prepared for flash-flooding.
· Be prepared for power outages.
· Listen to the ABC radio.
· Tasmania Emergency Information Service for flood-affected communities with general information throughout this weather event on 6145 5303 for the cost of a local call.
· Call SES on 132 500 for flood and storm-related emergency assistance.
· Dial Triple Zero (000) in a life-threatening emergency.
Alerts will be issued overnight as required and a Media Conference is scheduled for 11:30am Friday morning.
Date: 13 October 2022 Contact: Phone: 61732424